Friday, February 19, 2021

Just a Closer Walk

Even though I grew up in New England (although born in Washington, DC), I have always loved "traditional" American folks music, that is to say so-called 'mountain music' that emanates from Appalachia. An early favorite is a song that, for me, sums up the Lenten journey: "Just a Closer Walk with Thee."

As we prepare for Easter, contemplate the true nature of our lives and relationships, this song describes our heart's longing for wholeness and healing that comes from our walk with Christ. This longing for hope and holiness changes our view of the world and our relationships. A closer walk with God in Christ means, for me, that we engage the world with integrity and with love. In many ways, the song echoes the collect for purity that Episcopalians and Anglicans around the world recite at the start of most Eucharists. The prayer, written in the 10th century, started out as a 'sacristy' prayer said by the clergy and chancel ministers before the start of the liturgy, but found it's way into the opening of the liturgy (as more and more things were added into the beginning and end.) Thomas Cranmer included it in the Book of Common Prayer.

Almighty God, unto whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid: Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of thy Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy holy Name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Here are the lyrics, and perhaps you can see the same connection between the desire of the prayer and the song that drew my heart to them both. 

I am weak but Thou art strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be
Thro' this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be
When my feeble life is o'er
Time for me will be no more
Guide me gently, safely o'er
To Thy kingdom's shore, to Thy shore
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be


No comments: