Sunday, June 11, 2006

Greetings from the Heart of it All

I arrived in Columbus tonight after driving out directly following church this afternoon.

This has been a weekend of celebration: my daughter graduated from high school (Moravian Academy) yesterday. So lots of family have been in town, and there have been lots of celebrations. Bacalaureate (sp?) at Central Moravian Church in Bethlehem, graduation party (this seemed to be a never ending string for my daughter this week), and the commencement itself outdoors at the Upper School.

Today at Trinity, Easton, we celebrated our name feast. I was very glad to have Wayne Sherrer preach. We celebrated the Eucharists, the choir finished their season in a very big way, we continue with a great spiritual gifts workshop, prayed over and commissioned high school grads and a wonderful parish feast after the later service.

So the drive out here was a great way to transition from one reality to another--from a weekend of celebration and sentimentality General Convention.

I don't know what to expect, but I expect to start up nice and early tommorrow with orientations, facilitator training, and just figuring out what's where. Columbus is enough of my old stomping grounds that I found my way here without even consulting the map. We'll see how that holds up.

I heard someone tell one of our deputies to "get 'er done." I am not sure what that means but here we are. One thing for sure, while Ohio may proclaim itself the "heart of it all" the big doings in my parish help me remember that heart of what we do is found in the work, minsitry, and discipleship of day to day Christians in their parish communities. Whatever we do, serving Christ and helping everyday friends and apprentices of Jesus is at the heart of what we'll be doing these next two weeks.

Good night.

No comments: