Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Spiritual but not religious

Updated.

Whenever someone says to me "Father" in that strange elongated way, I know something interesting is coming.

Sometimes people say things like "Well, you know Father, I believe that God made us all the same and isn't that really what it's all about?"

I've heard "Well, you know Father, you can be just as spiritual outside of church as inside" more times than I can count.

Another variation is: "Well, you know Father, I just don't believe in organized religion." To which I usually reply, "That's great! Have you tried the Episcopal Church?"

And I wish I had a nickel for every person who has said to me "Well, you know Father, I am spiritual but not religious."

Sometimes I reply "Hmmm, that's funny. Because I am religious but not spiritual!"

I know, I know. Irony is usually not called for in moments like this.

Father Matthew says it better in his latest video.

No comments: